Adventure. Enrich. Explore. Develop.
Our mission is to provide an experience focused on environmental sustainability, enrichment, and leadership through outdoor education and environmental stewardship.
In 2017, Wa-Ya Outdoor School converted business operations from WaYa Outdoor School, LLC to WaYa Outdoor Institute as a 501(c)(3) non-profit. The term Wa-Ya comes from the Cherokee language, and represents heritage derived from the Wolf Clan.
What We've Achieved
- 2016 was the inaugural year for Wa-Ya Outdoor School
- New curriculum established
- Special Programs and scholarships
New in 2017:
- More of the favorites and less of the hassle! We've taken the best of what worked last summer and made it better.
- Consistent drop-off and pick-up location at Tumwater Falls Park. (SEE UPDATE 7/29/17 for revised location). We provide transportation to daily destinations.
- This year we are ready for adventure in our new shuttle bus, opening up numerous possibilities for greater diversity in our daily destinations.
- WaYa Outdoor Institute began a grass-roots based grant application campaign.
- Fall 2017 begins a partnership with students at The Evergreen State College, who will assist with our grant application campaign as part of their advanced coursework in non-profit management.
- In late July and August 2017, the Nisqually Reach Nature Center has offered to provide WaYa with hands-on programs focused on our weekly curriculum.